One of the best things you can do for your yard is to add a protective layer to it. Fortunately, there’s one surefire way to do this which is mulching. Mulch is a layer of material such as wood chips or pebbles that is applied to the surface of the soil and acts as a barrier that protects against damage and other harm. Considering the benefits of mulch for your garden, this is a widely popular gardening technique and it’s highly recommended for those who are looking to revamp their yard. So, take a look below at the different types of mulch and all the amazing benefits it could have on your garden.
Types of Mulch
Mulch can be made from a wide variety of items ranging from rubber mats and newspapers to grass clippings and crushed leaves. However, there are two main categories of mulch which are organic and inorganic:
- Organic Mulch: This type of mulch consists of natural mulches that are made from various natural materials such as grass clippings, straw/hay, pine straw, crushed leaves, hardwood chips, and moss.
- Inorganic Mulch: This type of mulch consists of synthetic mulches which are made from inorganic man-made materials such as pebbles, newspaper, plastic sheeting, geotextiles, crushed rock, and rubber mats or chips.
Each variation of mulch has its own benefits. For instance, organic mulches are cheaper to purchase and usually offer more natural benefits to the soil of your garden. However, this type of mulch does need to be replaced more often than synthetic mulches.
Benefits of Mulch
There are numerous benefits of using mulch for your garden. Not only is mulch helpful in protecting the soil and maintaining your garden’s soil, but it can also have positive effects on the look of your garden as well. Here are some of the biggest advantages of using mulch in your garden:
- Weed Control – Mulch helps limit the number of weeds that may pop up in the open spaces of your garden. Instead of allowing weeds to grow right through, the mulch will act as a protective barrier and prevent any sunlight from reaching weeds so that they don’t grow.
- Holds in Moisture – Another way mulch benefits your garden is by trapping necessary moisture into the ground so that plants will be able to grow and thrive. It also helps limit evaporation and can save you money on your water bill.
- Prevents Soil Erosion – Soil erosion is a naturally occurring problem that causes soil to loosen and erode which can negatively affect your plants. Fortunately, mulch helps protect your garden from soil erosion by shielding the soil from the fall of water and lessens the impact of water hitting the ground.
- Maintains Soil Nutrients – Whether you choose to use organic or inorganic mulch, this method will help keep soil nutrients from being washed away by rain or heavy watering. However, using organic mulch materials will also add vital nutrients to the soil and will naturally decompose.
- Pest Control – Fragrant organic mulches, such as cedar bark, can help deter certain pests away from your garden. The natural scents and oils help keep unwanted pests at bay and don’t have any direct impacts on the soil. Just be careful to choose a fragrance that won’t attract pests!
- Protects During Temperature Changes – Inorganic and organic mulch will act as an insulter for your soil. This helps regulate soil temperatures to keep plant roots cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Gives Your Yard a Clean Look – Not only does mulch have a wide variety of natural benefits for your garden, but it also makes your yard look polished and virtuous. Rather than having a messy garden with dirt and soil laying about all over the place, mulch helps keep dirt and soil in place and adds a smooth finish to the overall look.
Connect With an Expert Landscaping Company in Reno
Contact Antonucci Lawn and Garden to help you through your landscaping renovation! We are a commercial and residential landscaping company in Reno that excels at planning and designing so that we can help make this process easier for you. With the variety of landscaping services we have to offer, we can help save you time and money. Get a free quote and see how Antonucci Lawn and Garden can help you.